What to Look for In a Trailer GPS Tracker
Using a GPS tracking system for trailers is a great way to monitor the locations of your vehicles, your products, and the status of shipments. However, like most things in life, not all trailer GPS trackers are created equal, and not all solutions are the best for every application. Even a high-quality GPS tracking system that is designed for fleet management might not be a good fit for trailer tracking.
When selecting a trailer tracking solution for your business, there are several features that you want to be sure to have.
Seven GPS Tracking System Features for Trailers
Trailers are the types of assets that can stay in the field for long periods of time. They need little maintenance and they can be left without a vehicle almost anywhere. They are also vulnerable to vandalism and theft when left in unsupervised areas. All of these characteristics need to be taken into account when selecting a trailer tracking system.
Look for these features next time you look for a trailer tracking solution:
- Durability – The equipment needs to be able to withstand jostling, foul weather, tampering, and any other condition that might be encountered in the field. Durability is critical to the longevity of trailer gps tracking.
- Reliable reporting – In many cases, you will not be able to get to your trailers quickly, especially if they are in another part of the country, which is why it is so important for you to get reliable information on a regular basis.
- Longevity – Because trailers do not need to be serviced as frequently as vehicles, GPS tracking units stay in the field for much longer periods of time. You want to be confident that batteries will last for several years.
- Network flexibility – Look for a system that employs both GPRS and CDMA wireless networks to transfer data from the unit to your software.
- Alerts – You might want to know when a trailer is in motion or whether it is moving when it is not supposed to be. A good GPS tracking system for trailers will have both motion and off-hour alerts. You should also look for power disconnect alerts so you know when a vehicle has been disconnected from a trailer.
- Regular updates – If a trailer is stolen or moved to an unwanted location, the sooner you know about it, the faster you can act on it. Look for a system that provides updates at least once every six hours.
- Big picture – Make sure your GPS tracking system gives you the ability to view all of your trailers on a single map, including their location history. Knowledge is power and the more information you have, the better able you will be to manage your valuable assets.
How do you know which GPS tracking system is right for you?
Unfortunately, there is no one-size-fits-all approach to fitting your trailer with a GPS tracking system. A lot of your decision will come down to the type of trailer you have and the type of tracking you want.
Are we talking about a big trailer or a small trailer? Are you the type of person who feels safest when they’re getting constant updates on the whereabouts of their trailer and/or vehicles or do they only want to be notified in the event that your equipment is on the move, perhaps at a time when it’s not traditionally supposed to be? What kind of trips do your vehicles often make, because that will influence the quality of network service you’ll need to be able to track them when they’re out on a job. You need to figure out your needs and match them with the features each GPS tracking system provides.
If you are interested in purchasing a GPS tracking system to monitor your trailers in the field, contact GPS Trackit today. If you’d like to learn more about how GPS Trackit can help to improve safety, increase productivity and reduce costs for your business, speak with one of our knowledgeable Fleet Advisors at 866-320-5810 or get a quick Custom Quote.
What do you think is the greatest benefit to monitoring trailers with a GPS tracking system?
Read the Latest Service Fleet Tracking News
Working in the construction industry means facing complex challenges like asset theft, unauthorized usage, excessive…
Ensure 2024 is your year by coaching your team into adopting fleet efficient habits that…
We're thrilled to announce the launch of our new GPS Trackit Driver App, a significant…