20 Crucial Benefits of GPS Tracking For Fleets
Running a transportation company is not child’s play; especially when you are responsible for managing a fleet of vehicles. Without knowing the accurate location of each and every vehicle in the fleet, you will have to resort to a lot of guesswork. And, this is certainly not a good thing as you have deadlines to meet and promises to keep.
Do you want to reduce operational costs and improve the productivity of your transportation business? A GPS tracking system is what you need to get the ball rolling.
20 Benefits of GPS Fleet Tracking for Your Fleet Business
- Reduce operating expenses – Investing in a GPS tracking system or a good fleet management system will allow you to choose the best and shortest routes for your vehicles. Not to mention, this will help you reduce fuel consumption, unnecessary overtime costs.
- Save time – “Time is money”-people in the transportation business have realized how true the statement is. There are occasions when your fleet gets stuck in the traffic for several minutes. With a proper fleet management system, your fleet managers will be able to guide the drivers to avoid the busy streets in real-time.
- Reduce downtime – Reducing downtime holds the key to improving the productivity and profitability of a transportation company. A good GPS tracking system will help you make informed decisions and schedule trips more efficiently, thus reducing the downtime of your vehicles.
- Optimize resources – GPS Fleet tracking solutions allow you to monitor your vehicles and get detailed insights on fuel usage, driver behavior, engine idling, etc. in real time. With the data obtained from a fleet management system, you can utilize your resources effectively and identify key money-saving areas.
- Reduce insurance costs – Insurance companies provide special discounts on vehicles that are equipped with GPS tracking systems. You can reduce your premium amount by as much as 35%! Another great benefit of a GPS fleet management system, isn’t it?
- Maximize vehicle utilization – You can get the most out of your transportation vehicles by using a GPS tracking system. Your fleet managers will be able to use the data and analysis obtained from the GPS tracking software to eliminate vehicle idle time, reduce over-speeding and decrease fuel consumption.
- Keep your customers happy – A loyal and happy customer base is paramount to running a successful transportation business. With the help of GPS tracking, your fleet will be able to respond to service calls quickly and reach your customers on time.
- Be more predictable – Uncertainty in your transportation business is a strict “NO”. Be more predictable by providing your customers with accurate delivery times, real-time tracking info and other minute details.
- Manage your field staff and drivers effectively – GPS fleet management systems will help the fleet managers in managing the drivers effectively. They can pull up the data obtained from the GPS tracking system, analyze it and take corrective actions whenever necessary.
- Optimize financial management – The GPS log data will allow you to analyze the routes taken by your drivers. With this data, you will be able to make a comprehensive profit and loss analysis and allocate your budget accordingly.
- Superior route planning – With the help of GPS tracking data, you can identify routes that save both time and money. Smart route planning will reduce unproductive work and eliminate unnecessary fuel expenses.
- Increase the number of trips – GPS tracking systems can help you plan better. Your fleet managers will be able to assign tasks whenever they spot an idle vehicle. That way, you can increase the number of trips per day. More trips translate to more business.
- Locate your assets – With GPS fleet management systems, vehicle asset tracking is possible to help you locate your lost and stolen vehicles in no time. Reduce maintenance costs- Nowadays, GPS tracking systems are equipped with advanced telematic features such as vehicle diagnostics, fuel level indicators, engine temperature indicator. You can also monitor key aspects such as engine oil and the overall health of your vehicle. So, you don’t have to spend money by taking your vehicles to a mechanic for a routine inspection. Rather, the data from the fleet management software system will help you ascertain when an inspection is really needed.
- Reduce maintenance costs – Nowadays, GPS tracking systems are equipped with advanced telematic features such as vehicle diagnostics, fuel level indicators, engine temperature indicator. You can also monitor key aspects such as engine oil and the overall health of your vehicle. So, you don’t have to spend money by taking your vehicles to a mechanic for a routine inspection. Rather, the data from the fleet management software system will help you ascertain when an inspection is really needed.
- Ease of use – The critical information such as location data, vehicle status, driver’s behavior can be accessed easily with the help of a GPS fleet management software. Your fleet managers will be able to access the data from anywhere on mobiles, tablets and laptops.
- Get timely Alerts – GPS tracking systems can send SMS or email alerts when your vehicle goes out of your business zone. Besides, the software can send timely notifications in case of accidents and other mishaps so that you can take the necessary steps.
- Improve Safety – Improve the safety of your field personnel by monitoring your fleet in real-time. In the case of untoward incidents, you can provide direct assistance and support to your drivers. GPS fleet management systems can also help you implement two-way communication between drivers and fleet managers.
- Utilize digital timekeeping – With the help of GPS tracking, you can eliminate billing discrepancies by utilizing digital timekeeping. Further, it will also reduce dispatch inaccuracies.
- Reduce paperwork – GPS systems will help your drivers, dispatchers and managers do away with all the paperwork as the system can automatically track and store the minute details and present it in a user-friendly form when needed.
- Be competitive – You can beat your competition by streamlining your transportation business with GPS fleet management systems. You will be able to reduce costs, provide first-class customer service and keep your employees happy as well.
Given all these benefits, it’s no wonder that around 64% of fleets currently use fleet tracking software – and this number will only increase.
What does a fleet GPS tracker look like?
GPS trackers typically look like a small black box that is about the size of a deck of cards. There are a number of different types of trackers on the market, but they generally have three main components: a GPS receiver, a cellular transmitter, and a power supply. Below is GPS TrackIt’s hardwired GPS tracker.
The GPS receiver determines the location of the device by measuring the time it takes for signals from GPS satellites to reach the device. The cellular transmitter sends this location data to a remote server, where it is stored and analyzed. The power supply powers the device and can be either a battery or an adapter plug.
There are various types of GPS trackers depending on their intended use. Some are designed for personal use, while others are meant for commercial or industrial applications. Personal trackers are typically used to keep track of kids, pets, or elderly loved ones, while commercial trackers are used to manage a fleet of vehicles or track assets.
As a result, there are many different styles of GPS trackers on the market, but they all share the same basic functionality.
Is fleet tracking legal?
If you own a fleet of vehicles, then you may be wondering if fleet tracking is legal. The answer to this question depends on the country and state you live in. In the United States, for example, some states require that you obtain the consent of the driver before you track their movements.
This is a common question. You will want to be sure to check with your state laws to be sure you are in compliance.
How does GPS fleet tracking work?
GPS fleet tracking works by installing a small GPS tracker in each of your vehicles. The trackers collect location data and send it to a remote server, where it is stored and analyzed. This data can be used to track the movement of your vehicles and see where they have been.
The data can also be used to generate reports on distracted driving, hard braking, idling, and other driver behavior. This information can help you improve your fleet’s efficiency and reduce costs.
Where is a GPS tracking device installed on a truck?
For fleet management purposes, GPS trackers are typically installed on the dashboard through an on board diagnostics (OBD) port. The OBD port is a standard connector that is found on all modern vehicles. It is used to diagnose and report on the status of the engine and other vehicle systems.
How GPS tracking is recovering stolen trucks and trailers
As anyone who has watched a crime drama knows, tracking a car can be a key to solving a crime. Police use GPS devices to track suspects’ cars, and even regular citizens are using fleet tracking software to keep an eye on their loved ones.
There are a number of reasons why fleet tracking is so valuable in the fight against crime. For one, it allows police to track the movements of suspects and investigate their connections to other crimes. In addition, it can help them identify locations where crimes are likely to occur. For example, if a group of criminals is known to frequent a certain area, police can use fleet tracking to keep an eye on that area and catch the criminals in the act.
Recently, Diamond Landscapes, a commercial landscape company serving central Kentucky, recovered ten trucks and trailers that were stolen by sharing their GPS tracking information with the police. The thieves had broken into the company’s yard and stolen the trucks, but because Diamond Landscapes had their GPS tracking system in place, they were able to quickly notify the police and get the trucks back.
This proved vital for Diamond Landscapes, which was able to get “back to its full-service landscaping and snow removal business right away” instead of waiting for weeks or months to resume operations.
GPSTrackIt offers a range of GPS fleet tracking solutions for businesses of all sizes. If you are interested in learning more about how you can benefit from implementing a vehicle tracking system for your transportation business, schedule a live demo or view pricing today.
Read the Latest Service Fleet Tracking News
At GPS Trackit, we understand the unique needs of businesses in the field service industry.…
A good dash cam system is one of the most effective ways to protect your…
Field Service Software for Snow removal is a big business, and it's only getting bigger.…