Frequently Asked Questions
What is GPS?
The Global Positioning System (GPS) is a satellite-based navigation system made up of a network of 24 satellites placed into orbit by the U.S. Department of Defense. GPS was originally intended for military applications, but in the 1980s, the government made the system available for civilian use. GPS works in any weather condition, anywhere in the world, 24 hours a day.
GPS satellites circle the earth twice a day in a very precise orbit and transmit signal information to earth. GPS receivers take this information and use triangulation (triangulation is the process of determining the location of a point by measuring angles to it from known points at either end of a fixed baseline, rather than measuring distances to the point directly) to calculate the user’s exact location.
Essentially, the GPS receiver compares the time a signal was transmitted by a satellite with the time it was received. The time difference tells the GPS receiver how far away the satellite is. Now, with distance measurements from a few more satellites, the receiver can determine the user’s position and display it on the unit’s electronic map.
A GPS receiver must be locked on to the signal of at least three satellites to calculate a 2D position (latitude and longitude) and track movement. With four or more satellites in view, the receiver can determine the user’s 3D position (latitude, longitude and altitude). Once the user’s position has been determined, the GPS unit can calculate other information, such as speed, bearing, track, trip distance, distance to destination, and more.
How does a GPSTrackIt Vehicle Tracking system work?
A GPS antenna is connected to a GPSTrackIt unit with a lead wire (typically 10-15 feet). The unit is then attached to the object (vehicle, trailer or asset) to be tracked. Using the antenna, GPSTrackIt software then transmits the trilateral location data from the satellites to the unit.
The unit does processing of events (such as hard braking, hard turning, plus much more) and speed. The unit then communicates with GPSTrackIt’s securely protected servers, where the information is processed. Thus, enabling customers to view events and locate associated vehicles, trailers and/or other assets in real-time through our Fleet Manager dashboard from any desktop, laptop, tablet or smartphone.
Is a GPSTrackIt System Easy to Install?
Installing a GPSTrackIt unit is not complicated and is typically very simple to install. 90% of our customers install the systems themselves. It’s easy… simply hook up a ground and connect the power wire, mount the GPS antenna, and the system is ready to go. However, should a customer need a professional installation there is a network of installation specialists in every part of the U.S.
How do I know Which GPSTrackIt Product is Best for My Business?
GPSTrackIt’s Product Specialists are experts in GPS fleet tracking solutions. We work with you one-on-one to develop the right system for your business that will save you time, save you money and increase your bottom line profits.
Can I Conceal the GPS Tracking System from My Drivers?
Usually if the vehicle is owned by your business you can conceal the GPS tracking unit from your drivers. The units are small and can be installed out of the drivers sight. Typically it is suggested to inform your staff before beginning GPS tracking. Explain to them the benefits of GPS tracking and how it will help your business give better customer service in addition to making the business run smoother and more efficient. However, If you do plan to conceal your units in company owned vehicles, you should check with your local and state requirements.
Can My Company Get Similar GPS Tracking Results with Our Cell Phones?
- Cell phones rely on local towers to calculate their location. Areas that have limited cell phone coverage have limited GPS capabilities if any at all. GPSTrackIt’s tracking solution utilizes a network of GPS satellites that are always available 24/7/365.
- Cell phone batteries also have a limited life and tend to drain more quickly (50 to 75% more quickly) when the mapping function is constantly used. This could lead to the “my phone battery died” excuse. Giving the driver/employee the perfect excuse.
- Distracted driving is an epidemic in the U.S. You want to make sure your drivers are as safe as possible at all times. Using a cell phone for GPS purposes encourages distracted driving.
- Cell phone GPS does not do much more than just real-time mapping and location. With a GPSTrackIt tracking solution you can get text alerts when a driver is hard braking, hard turning, not wearing their seat belt, a cargo door is ajar and so much more. A GPS tracking system will also save you money on fuel costs, maintenance costs, faster dispatching, route optimization while putting more bottom line profits in your pocket.
- Drivers/employees can tamper with cell phones. They can turn them off or put them in a toolbox to appear they have ‘lost the signal”.
- Cell phones do not have the ‘reporting capabilities” a true GPS tracking system has. Hence leaving so much money on the table in “recoverable expenses.” Such as fuel savings, vehicle maintenance savings and employee pay savings to name just a few.
- Cell phones do not keep historical data. Meaning if a client denies that the driver/technician was ever there, you have no way to prove it. When you have the proper GPS tracking solution, by reviewing the driver’s historical data you can prove that the driver/technician was there.
Why Should I Choose GPSTrackIt for My GPS Tracking Solution?
- We care about your business’s success. By helping you improve your business, in turn, we help you improve your life.
- Our world-class customer service. Read our reviews from our clients on the independent review website Capterra.com.
- We listen to our clients and take their feedback and suggestions very seriously. We even make additions and updates to our Fleet Manager system based on clients’ feedback.
- Unlimited training.
- GPSTrackIt’s seasoned professional Product Specialists carefully listen to your needs and concerns. Then they design a system that meets YOUR needs and that will give you an ROI that will show you how critical the proper GPS solution is to increasing your business’s bottom line profits.
What Should I Look for in a Real-Time GPS Tracking System?
Download our quick read “Top Five Questions To Ask Before Selecting Your GPS Tracking Solution.” After reading this, you will have the knowledge of what to look for and you will be armed with proper questions to ask, whichever GPS tracking company you are talking to.
Can GPSTrackIt’s tracking system be used on my iPhone, Android or iPad?
Where is GPSTrackIt’s Headquarters?
We are an American company based in Temecula, California. Smack in the middle between San Diego and Los Angeles.
How Long Has GPSTrackIt been in Business?
Since 1999. GPSTrackIt has been a pioneer and helped set the standard for GPS fleet tracking technology.
Is GPSTrackIt BBB Rated?
Is Your Software Outsourced?
NO! All of our Award Winning software is written, programmed and controlled by us, right here in our Southern California headquarters. We have our own in-house software engineers, product developers and quality control personnel.
Which Carrier do You Use for Your GPS Device?
Our hardware is capable of using all major wireless carriers. This allows a wider range of service, coverage and new technology.
Is Your GPS Unit Hardwired into the Vehicle?
Depending upon your specific application, our GPS units are hardwired and/or plugged into the vehicle’s OBD port. With a phone or a battery used device reporting fails once the phone device is turned off or the battery life runs to 30%. A GPSTrackIt unit is constantly on gathering data and reporting back to you.
What Kind of Maps do You Use for Your Software?
We are licensed with Google to use their maps which is the most accurate and updated mapping system in the world. Google Maps sets the standard for all mapping. Since Google Maps costs more, most other GPS tracking companies will use a cheaper mapping software supplier that is substandard to Google.
How Long does GPSTrackIt Keep My Data? Are There Any Additional Charges Associated With My Data?
Indefinitely and No. We store your data indefinitely and we do not charge to access it at anytime. Most GPS tracking companies archive or purge client data after 90 days or 6 months. This is because it costs more money to keep the data in their system. Hence, other GPS tracking companies will charge you extra money to go back to retrieve older data. With GPSTrackIt it’s all available to you at no extra cost.
Does GPSTrackIt’s Fleet Management Solution Have a Vehicle Maintenance System?
Our Fleet Management solution has a vehicle maintenance system that is included with Fleet Manager. Our vehicle maintenance system will help you save thousands on vehicle maintenance by alerting you with texts, emails and reports that will keep your vehicles in top condition.
What is GPSTrackIt’s Warranty Program on the Hardware?
We provide you with up to a 3 year warranty as long as you are current with your monthly service.
What are GPSTrackIt’s Contract Terms?
We offer flexible 1, 2 or 3 year contracts. We match the hardware warranty to the length of the contract.
Does GPSTrackIt Provide a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee for the First 30 Days?
GPSTrackIt offers a FREE 30 Day Device Trial. GPSTrackIt’s FREE GPS device trial gives you the opportunity to experience our GPS tracking device and cutting edge technology to see first hand the cost cutting, expense reducing and money saving power you will have at your fingertips.
Does GPSTrackIt Provide Training?
Unlike other GPS tracking companies, we provide you with unlimited training anytime you need it. We do not limit the length of training or the amount of times you get trained.
Does My GPSTrackIt Solution Purchase Qualify for a Tax Deduction?
Check with your CPA or tax professional to see if your GPS tracking equipment purchase qualifies for, or can be used as a Section 179 tax deduction. Check out the Section 179 tax deduction website.
Are you ready to start your project?
Professional solutions guaranteed from our Fleet Advisors™ within 24 hours.