Finding the Right ELD Solution for Your Business
Selecting, buying and implementing the right ELD solution for your business doesn’t have to be difficult. By finding the right solution, you can not only ensure your compliance with the new regulations but also reap the rewards that using an ELD can bring to both your business and your bottom line.
Step 1: Discover What You Need
Before you do anything, it’s important to get a handle on what you do — and don’t — need for your business. Fortunately, there’s a free, online tool from GPS Trackit to help you get started.
Step 2: Ensure You’re Buying Compliant Hardware
In order for the hardware you’re using to be considered fully-compliant, it needs to be FMCSA-certified and offer the following elements:
- Telematics or Local Transfer. The ELD must be able to electronically transfer data to an authorized safety official on demand via wireless web services or be able to electronically transfer data to an authorized safety official on demand via USB 2.0 and Bluetooth®.
- Automatic Recording. The ELD must record the following at certain intervals: Date, Time, Location Information, Engine Hours, Vehicle Miles, and Identification for the Driver, Authenticated User, Vehicle, and Motor Carrier.
- Automated Entry. This must occur at each change of duty status, at 60-minute intervals while the CMV is in motion, at the beginning and end of personal/yard move use and at engine-on and engine-off events.
- Duty Status Graph. The ELD must display or printed presentation of a graph grid of a driver’s daily duty status changes.
- Annotations and Edits. While original records cannot be revised and must be retained, edited versions of these must be supported by the ELD.
- Detection. The ELD must be able to monitor engine connectivity and timing to identify data inconsistencies and detectable malfunctions.
Step 3: Ask the Right Questions
Once you’ve determined that the hardware you’re interested in is compliant, there are some questions you may want to ask to ensure you’re getting the best solution possible.
Is this solution FMCSA-certified?
It’s a fact: not every ELD is compliant. Only an FMCSA-certified solution is considered compliant. One of the easiest ways to determine if your device or solution is compliant is to check with the FMCSA’s list of compliant devices. In order to be included on this list, manufacturers must self-certify with the FMCSA.
What features are included in this solution?
While compliance is important, a great ELD solution should make your job easier, not harder. Some of the key features that GPS Trackit’s ELD solution includes are:
- Hardware included in the package
- Guaranteed compliance
- No contracts and a low monthly price
- BYOD & complete packages available, depending on what you need
- Extensive, real-time reporting
- Easy to use driver interface
- Ability to quickly generate and transmit reports
- Ability to save time and reduce the errors often seen in paper-based reporting
What else can this ELD solution do?
When you use an ELD in conjunction with a fleet management solution, you can open up a whole world of benefits to business and your bottom line. Additional benefits include:
- Real-time vehicle tracking with interactive maps, breadcrumb trails and location information
- Time and driver management
- Cost reduction and instant ROI — the solution pays for itself.
- Asset protection and management
- Ability to quickly recover lost or stolen vehicles
- Accurate, up-to-the-minute data for detailed reporting and instant alerts
- Maintenance reports, reminders and alerts
- And so much more!
Not convinced? Try GPS Trackit’s online ROI Calculator and instantly see how much you could save!
How easy is this solution to implement?
Once you select an ELD provider, they will be responsible for supplying the ELD devices, compliant logbook software and ongoing support. Look for providers that can tell you what the entire process will be from start to finish before you even sign on the dotted line. Additionally, great customer support is crucial.
What is your customer support like?
Having the right support is crucial when you’re adding new systems to your business. A good provider should be able to guide you through every step of the implementation process from signing up all the way through usage. To that end, it’s important to choose a provider like GPS Trackit that offers unlimited training and support at no additional charge to you and also has great ratings for their support services through independent review sites like Capterra.
How much is this going to cost?
While the price is important, it shouldn’t be the only factor in your decision to purchase a solution for your fleet. Ask yourself what features and benefits would be most important to you and your business. A GPS Trackit Fleet Advisor™ can help you determine what package would best suit both your needs and budget, plus go over any questions you might have implementation, training and support.
How long is the contract?
Depending on the solution provider you may be looking at, contracts can run anywhere from months to years. However, GPS Trackit offers a strictly NO CONTRACT ELD solution, meaning we earn your business every month by providing the best quality service, software and support.